Training to use an AED could mean the difference between life or death, which is why it is imperative to find the right device for training purposes.
With plenty of models on the market, it can be tough to differentiate between certified models and ones that won’t give you enough experience to be able to use a real AED in a real-world situation.
In this guide, we have compiled five of the best AED trainers that you can get your hands on to learn how to use these life-saving devices with ease.
AED Trainer Comparison Chart
Best AED Trainer Reviews
1. Prestan AED UltraTrainer
Known for its impeccable accuracy, the Prestan AED UltraTrainer is one of the top-tier brands that you can purchase for learning how to use an AED. This device comes with plenty of benefits and features that every trainee should have the option to use.
When purchasing an AED, it should have plenty of useful features. The Prestan AED UltraTrainer certainly impresses by offering:
- Integrated Compression Timing: When dealing with resuscitation, students will need to know how to perform compressions at the right time. The integrated compression timing mechanism creates an audible metronome and a “give breath” voice prompt that lets students know when they should be administering both compressions and breaths to their manikin.
- Training Pad Sensing: With advanced technology, the training pad sensing has special electrodes that alert the defibrillator once the pads have been affixed to a manikin, offering a realistic training session.
- Customizable Training: Depending on the desires of the trainer and the type of real-world situation they have put their class in, trainers can customize the sessions with ease.
2. WNL AED Practi-Trainer
WNL holds two spots on this list of the best AED trainers on the market, the first being for the single WNL AED Practi-Trainer. This device is an all-inclusive unit that incorporates everything that you could ever need to teach students about using life-saving devices, not to mention that it’s also upgradeable in the event of changes to ECC standards.
A few of the most beneficial features of the WNL AED Practi-Trainer include:
- Integrated Compression Timing: Similar to the Prestan model, the WNL AED Practi-Trainer also comes with integrated compression timing in the form of both a metronome and flashing lights to help students time up to 100 compressions each minute.
- Fully Upgradeable: Instead of having to worry about purchasing a new training AED once ECC standards change, this model is fully upgradeable by purchasing a new firmware module.
- Ready to Use: When you first receive your WNL AED Practi-Trainer, it will be ready to use right out of the box as it comes with an assortment of accessories including one set of adult pads, one set of child pads, a remote control, pre-programmed scenarios and more.
3. Physio Control LIFEPAK CR Plus Training AED
If you’re searching for a training AED that is as realistic as possible, the Physio Control LIFEPAK CR Plus Training AED is a strong contender as it has an array of features that are expected from high-end models. With the ability to customize training scenarios as well as take advantage of several pre-programmed modes, the options are almost endless with this particular model.
The most important features of the Physio Control LIFEPAK CR Plus Training AED to take note of include:
- Widely Compatible: One of the largest issues that trainers have with other AED training equipment is that it can only be used on a specific type of manikin. However, the Physio Control LIFEPAK CR Plus Training AED is fully adaptable to any type of manikin, making it easy to use in every classroom.
- 12 Pre-Programmed Scenarios: Instead of only offering four or five training scenarios, students will be able to go through eight different American Heart Association Heartsaver sessions and four American Red Cross training sessions.
- Simple Operation: This device has a three-step operation that will guide students through energy delivery and prompted CPR. It’s simple to use which is essential for any lifesaving training device.
4. Philips HeartStart FR2+ Trainer
Philips is a renowned brand in the lifesaving device market, and many instructors find that the Philips HeartStart FR2+ Trainer is their favorite device to turn to when teaching about resuscitation and CPR. As an economical solution to your needs that is as flexible as some of the other top-tier designs in the world, this device will give you everything you need to teach the ins and outs of using an AED.
A few of the most notable features of the Philips HeartStart FR2+ Trainer include:
- Multiple Training Scenarios: With ten different pre-programmed scenarios, students will be able to walk through the most common emergency responder training programs that are currently recognized. There is also the ability for instructors to add custom scenarios with the help of the remote and programming kit, which are sold separately.
- Functional Remote Control: The remote control is what helps to make this training AED unique as it allows instructors to adjust the volume of the unit, choose the right scenarios, pause and resume scenarios in the event of additional instructions and more.
- Realistic: With complete control at your fingertips with the instructor remote and the realistic design of the unit, your student’s training will be equivalent to using a real AED, just without the use of electric shock.
5. WNL AED Practi-Trainer (4-Pack)
This is the second WNL AED Practi-Trainer on this list. It’s aimed at instructors who need to purchase multiple models at an affordable cost. This 4-pack of WNL AED Practi-Trainers is exactly what you need to teach large-scale resuscitation classes with minimal effort. Each device is identical to the next, so it’s like buying training AEDs in bulk.
A few of other features the WNL AED Practi-Trainer (4-Pack) has to offer include:
- Four Units: With four separate units, you will have the ability to train all of your participants in the same classroom at the same time. Each student will have the same experience on the same device, which is essential for planning tests and monitoring the successes of your students.
- Small and Compact: Although you might assume that handling four AEDs would be bulky, these units are designed to be incredibly small and compact so they can easily fit inside of the included carrying case for easy portability.
- Widely Versatile: You’ll love that the WNL AED Practi-Trainer (4-Pack) is fully adaptable to be used on any type of manikin, regardless of what it is constructed out of. This makes it the perfect partner for any type of training.
Not that it’s time to make your final decision on which training AED to purchase, we strongly recommend taking a good look at the Physio Control LIFEPAK CR Plus Training AED as it offers a realistic experience that your students will not forget. There are three main features that help this unit to stand out from the competition:
- 12 Training Scenarios: With the combination of 12 training scenarios (8 from the American Heart Association Heartsaver and 4 from the American Red Cross), you can rest assured that your students will know everything there is to know about saving a life with the help of an AED.
- Programmable Scenarios: On top of the already integrated 12 scenarios, instructors have the opportunity to program their very own scenarios based on how they think their students are doing. This is phenomenal for instructors who want to offer more realistic situations in their classes.
- Realistic Design: Above all else, it’s important to know that the Physio Control LIFEPAK CR Plus Training AED offers a highly realistic approach to using a real AED. Your students will feel comfortable at the end of their training and know that they are equipped with the experience and knowledge to handle a real model in the future.
By choosing the right training module, using an AED can be simpler than most think. As it could mean the difference between life and death, you should try to choose the best model on the market that will give you the greatest number of features and benefits.