One of the life-altering medical conditions you’re most likely to experience at some point in your life is cardiac arrest. No matter if you’re living with an ill family member or if you’re setting up a commercial office where an AED is required based on regulations, you’re going to need to find the best AED pads of 2018 for your kit.
There’s nothing more important than ensuring that you keep all your life-saving equipment up to date, especially for personal and professional resuscitation devices. In this guide, we explore five of the top AED pads on the market for both training and real-world applications to make sure you’re prepared for absolutely anything that comes your way.
Top 5 Best AED Pads Comparison Chart
Best AED Pads Reviews
1. WNL XFTAP AED Replacement Pads
The first step in understanding how to use an AED is to acquire plenty of experience with one, which is why the WNL XFTAP AED Replacement Pads are a phenomenal tool for trainees. Unfortunately, these units cannot be used in real-world applications, but they are essential for understanding the proper placement of the pads and how they work.
There are plenty of things that can be said about the WNL XFTAP AED Replacement Pads, especially as they’re one of the best types of replacement pads that you can get for a training session. Here are some of their advantages:
- Latex Free Material: If you or one of the participants in your class has a latex allergy, you’ll be able to easily handle these replacement pads without having to worry about always wearing gloves. This also means you can acquire the experience you need to be able to quickly use an AED without needing to search for materials to cover your hands.
- Numerous Applications: Unlike other types of replacement pads that you may find on the market, the WNL XFTAP AED Replacement Pads can give you up to 100 removals and 100 applications on a regular basis, which helps to make them more cost-effective. You won’t have to worry about spending an excessive amount of money on disposable pads for training purposes.
- Realistic Packaging: One of the most important parts of AED training is knowing how to set up the device prior to using it, and as such, you’ll appreciate how these training pads are located inside realistic zippered bags, so your students will have a clearer idea of how to use the device in a real-world situation.
2. Little Anne AED Training Pads
Designed to be specifically used with the Little Anne Training System, the Little Anne AED Training Pads could be exactly what you need, depending on the training gear you can get your hands on. Designed by Philips, a renowned electronics brand, you can rest assured that these are the best AED training pads you will be able to get for the Little Anne system.
A few of the most interesting features of the Little Anne AED Training Pads include:
- Reusable Pads: Instead of having to worry about throwing your AED pads away after they aren’t sticky anymore, the Little Anne AED Training Pads are completely reusable. Considering they are to be used for training purposes only, you can easily attach them to your Little Anne manikin and remove them as many times as you wish. Also, as they don’t leave a residue behind on the models, you won’t have to worry about them losing their stickiness.
- Adaptable to Three Models: There are three models that these pads can be used for: the AED Trainer 2, the AED Little Anne LINK and the AED Resusci Anne LINK. This helps to make them more versatile over the years if you decide to upgrade or downgrade your manikin.
- Visible Application Instructions: Similar to any other type of AED pads, there are visible instructions on the front of the packages to give you a clear idea of what the proper placement is for each one.
3. Philips FR2 Adult Pads
Now that you have a clear idea of two different types of AED pads that are perfect for training purposes, it’s time to consider some that are adaptable to real-world situations, such as the Philips FR2 Adult Pads. These devices are designed to work with a couple of different AED models, but mostly they are necessary as a replacement for pads with a specific model.
A few of the most notable features of the Philips FR2 Adult Pads include:
- Multi-AED Compatibility: Before you purchase these AED pads, it’s important to note that they are compatible with the Philips HeartStart FR2, FR2+, as well as Forerunner AEDs. However, the majority of customers find that they are the perfect replacement for the pads that were originally sold with the Philips HeartStart FR2 AED.
- Age Restrictions: Instead of creating a generic set of AED pads that may or may not work on younger and older patients, these pads give you a clear indication that they are only to be used on children above the age of eight or over 55 lbs.
- Great Shelf Life: Unlike training AED pads, it’s important to stay up to date with the expiry of your real AED pads, as you’ll want to ensure that they will work when you actually need them. Luckily, the Philips FR2 Adult Pads come with a two-year shelf life, which is essential for people who don’t want to be buying new equipment every few months.
- Philips HeartStart FR2 Defibrillation Electrode Pads are general purpose pads for use with Philips HeartStart FR2 and FR2+ AEDs, as well as with older Forerunner AEDs.
- They replace the electrode pads you originally received with your Philips Heartstart FR2 AED.
- These electrode pads are recommended for use on patients over the age of 8 or above 55 lbs. (25 kg.) in body weight.
4. Philips Pediatric Home AED Pads
If there’s one thing to be said about AED pads it’s that every establishment that works with children should have one on site in the event of emergencies. However, it can be a little difficult to find the right unit and pads for younger children such as infants as the majority of units are designed for older kids and adults. The Philips Pediatric Home AED Pads give you exactly what you’ve been looking for if you’re in the market for an AED for older children.
There are a few important things that make the Philips Pediatric Home AED Pads particularly useful, including:
- Useful Age Range: These pads are adaptable to all life-saving techniques for children under the age of eight and under 55 lbs. You’ll appreciate how these AED pads are designed specifically for younger individuals.
- Smart Technology: One of the most interesting features is the smart technology integrated into the Philips Pediatric Home AED Pads. Once the pads have been installed, they will immediately instruct the defibrillator to limit the energy of its shock down to 50 Joules from 150.
- User-Friendly Design: To make getting prepared in the event of an emergency simpler, the user-friendly design has a teddy bear indicator that helps you to identify exactly where the pads should be placed as well as whether they are for younger children.
5. Welch Allyn AED Refresh Pack
As the fifth and final set of AED pads on this list, the Welch Allyn AED Refresh Pack offers a little bit more than the other AEDs on this list, ensuring that you are prepared in the event of multiple cardiac concerns. As another relatively well-known brand in the healthcare sector, you can rest assured that Welch Allyn has developed a phenomenal set of AED packs that everyone can use to their advantage.
If there’s one thing that can be said about these AED pads it’s that they certainly work as described, but a few notable features include:
- Long Shelf and Battery Life: With an average shelf life of two years and an average battery life of three years, you won’t have to worry about your AED equipment failing right when you need it. You’ll have plenty of time to order replacements in the event that the expiration date is quickly approaching.
- Easy Application Instructions: In comparison to the other AED pads on this list, the Welch Allyn AED Refresh Pack offers substantially clearer application instructions that make it simple for even untrained individuals to use the pads in the event of a cardiac arrest.
- Multi-Pack: Another striking difference between these pads and others is that they come with five different pieces instead of just one or two. If you’re looking for an economical yet safe solution, these are the ones for you.
In the end, it’s difficult to choose the perfect AED pads for every application as each model on this list offers a unique array of benefits.
If you’re in the market for training pads to teach students how to use appropriate lifesaving techniques, you’ll surely want to opt for the WNL XFTAP AED Replacement Pads as they have numerous applications, are latex-free and offer realistic packaging for training purposes.
If you need an AED specifically for children, the pads that are recommended for you are the Philips Pediatric Home AED Pads, as they are designed specifically for children under eight years of age and under 55 lbs. Above all else, the pads are designed to signal the defibrillator to limit its Joules from 150 down to 50.
Finally, for real-world adult applications, we recommend the Welch Allyn AED Refresh Pack as it appears to be the most versatile, offers the largest number of AED pads in a single order, and has a reliable shelf life. We also appreciate the thorough visual instructions that help anyone to properly use an AED in an emergency.
No matter what your needs are, it’s essential that you have all of the right equipment and accessories for your AED. Otherwise, it would be rendered useless. With the help of this list, you’ll be well on your way to having the perfect tools for emergencies.